Saturday, October 29, 2011
Universal Studios Might As Well Quit While It's Behind With "Battlestar Galactica"
Universal Studios has never done anything right with "Battlestar Galactica." It never has and it never will. Universal Studios laughable management of the property has always fallen into two categories: (1) Not doing anything at all with "Galactica" and pissing everybody off in the process, and (2) Habitually falling back on Ronald D. Moore's sham take on the property long since proven to be a commercial dud with mass market audiences, and pissing everybody off in the process.
Under the ownership and guidance of any other movie studio in Hollywood, "Battlestar Galactica" would have been celebrating its 33rd year of boundless, financial success as a significant threat, significant third alternative, and rival to "Star Wars" and "Star Trek." Under the guidance and ownership of Universal Studios for the past 33 years, what have "Battlestar Galactica" fans gotten instead?
1. A crappy syndication package of the episodes released to local television stations in te fall of 1980.
2. A crappy VHS tape release of not the best episodes in 1986.
3. A total ignoring of the rebirth of Science Fiction on television via "Star Trek-TNG" in 1987.
4. A total ignoring of the thriving syndication market for Science Fiction in the late 1980s.
5. A total ignoring of the continued success of "Star Trek" in 1992 via "Deep Space Nine."
6. A total ignoring of the continued success of "Star Trek" in 1995 via "Voyager"
7. A total ignoring of the success of "Babylon 5."
8. A total ignoring of "Battlestar Galactica's" 10th Anniversary in September 1988.
9. A total ignoring of "Battlestar Galactica's" 20th Anniversary in September 1998.
10. A total ignoring of "Battlestar Galactica's 30th Anniversary in September 2008.
11. A crappy DVD set released in October 2003.
12. A total (and typical) corporate misinterpretation of the "Battlestar Galactica" property in 2003 via Ronald D. Moore's steaming pile of donkey crap.
So, I say to you Universal Studios. Don't even bother making this stupid ass "Galactica in Name Only" movie of yours, with Bryan Singer on board...once again. Because all that you're going to do (and all that you are cerebrally capable of doing) is piss everybody off with this movie of yours, because it will never be what mass market audiences want.
Yes, Universal Studios. All that everyone has ever gotten from your laughable and embarrassing mismanagement of "Battlestar Galactica" (for 33 years) is corporate mischief and corporate bullshit.
Obstructing "Battlestar Galactica" from being a significant third alternative, rival, and threat to "Star Wars" and "Star Trek."
Posted by Languatron at 10:06 AM