Yes, after 36 years, the pilot episode of the "1978 Battlestar Galactica Series" still hasn't been released in its entirety on DVD. The pilot episode that clocks in at around 2 hours and 45 minutes as directed by Richard A. Colla.
No thanks to Universal Studios....fragments of "Saga of a Star World" are still scattered all over the damn place...
1. The original ABC-TV cut of "Saga of a Star World" which was an absolute nightmare and mess of botched editing and truncated scenes.
2. The theatrical cut of "Saga of a Star World" which was a worse, truncated edit of the ABC-TV edit (if that's even possible.) However, we did get to see "Baltar's original fate in this theatrical cut, as well as a couple of lengthened dialogue scenes...
"Sir, did (Count) Baltar suggest that our forces sit here totally defenseless?"
"A wiping clean of the slate of animosities and prejudice."
"What is the purpose of this special counsel?" ....etc....etc...
3. On top of that, scattered all over the "Battlestar Galactica - Complete Epic Series" DVD set, we have bits and pieces of "Saga of a Star World" sprinkled all over the damn place:
a. Bits and pieces of it in the "Deleted Scenes" section.
b. Bits and pieces of it in the "Remembering Battlestar Galactica" documentary....."Starbuck's" complete crash landing in the "Special Effects" portion of this documentary....more footage of the "Carillon Casino" in the "Aliens" portion of this documentary....more footage of the "Ovion's" in this documentary.....more footage of the "running across the cavern bridge" sequence underneath Carillon as Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, Cassie, and Boxey are running from firing Cylons. Alternate footage of Serina on "Caprica." More footage of the "Rising Star" luxury liner in this documentary.
4. In the theatrical release.... "Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack".....bits and pieces of "Saga of a Star World show up in this film as well!!....
a. More footage of the "Cylon Tanker" (unedited.) Cruising shots along side of it.
b. The "approaching the landing bay" footage unedited. From far away to up close.
c. Footage of the Vipers and shuttle landing inside the bay (unedited.)
d. Footage of the rag-tag fleet ships (unedited.) The "three film cans on top of the center pylon ship" unedited. From far away to up close.
e. Footage of a "Cylon Mine" up close inside of the "Nova of Madagon." Never saw that one before!!
f. Underbelly shot of the "Galactica" during the opening titles sequence.
g. More fantastic, uncut footage of the "Cylon Basestar."
5. In the "Battlestar Galactica" episode "Murder on The Rising Star"...We have the uncut footage of the "Rising Star" luxury liner from "Saga of a Star World." The "approaching the ship from the lower right rear (POV) and then flying underneath it"...sequence.
It is thoroughly unbelievable to me how, over the years, a simple pilot episode for a Science Fiction television series that originally clocked in at roughly 2 hours and 45 minutes, could have somehow and someway ended up being.....sliced..... diced...... pureed...and truncated..... to this severity and degree. And the contents of "Saga of a Star World" then scattered to the ends of the Earth like this.
Not only that, but the "Einstein's" at Universal Studios never expressing the slightest wisdom, logic, and good common sense to assemble all of this scattered footage from "Saga of a Star World" in to a "Director's Cut" of "Saga of a Star World."
Read the books Universal Studios has tried and failed to censor on Amazon.com...
And read these books at another location where Universal Studios executives and its stealth marketers won't be able to post negative, misleading (stealth marketed) reviews of the books via them purchasing candy and Rogaine Foam on Amazon.com (allowing them access to the Amazon book review section) and not actually buying and reading the books. I'll leave the other 150 global locations under wraps for now.