Thursday, March 27, 2014
Universal Studios Has Earned The "Shame Award" (From This Blog) For Having The Only Underused and Mismanaged Franchise (On Purpose) in All of Hollywood
The mega-money making franchises in film are hopping like bunny rabbits and all over Hollywood!!
1. Star Wars
2. Star Trek
3. The Avengers
4. Iron Man
6. Captain America
7. James Bond
There is one title of course, always conspicuously absent from this list, fully capable of being just as huge of a money making franchise as all of these other titles. Fully capable of being taken seriously just as the rest of these titles. Always conspicuously absent due to never ending crappy management from Universal Studios. Of course I'm talking about the full potential "Battlestar Galactica" franchise as it was properly and originally presented in 1978.
How crappy is Universal Studios never ending bad management of this property? It (Universal) couldn't and still can't release a decent DVD set of the "1978 Battlestar Galactica Series" as of February 2014. If the only thing positive you can say about Universal Studios recent re-release of the "1978 Battlestar Galactica Series" on DVD in February of 2014...is that the discs no longer freeze because the episodes were finally put on single sided discs after a decade of Universal Studios not giving a shit....it gives you some indication of the severity of the bad management the potential "Battlestar Galactica" franchise still suffers from at the hands of Universal Studios.
Universal Studios never has and never will get right...the release of the pilot episode of the "1978 Battlestar Galactica Series" -----"Saga of a Star World"-----on DVD. Yes, this pilot episode no longer freezes thanks to the recent re-release of it in February 2014 [a miracle in itself] (as part of the "Complete Epic Series" DVD set)....but the transfer still has a lot to be desired in spots, and a good 20 minutes of the pilot episode are still missing....even with the original ABC-TV cut of the pilot included on the re-released DVD set....and even with the half hour of cut footage included in the bonus section on this DVD set. From what I can tell, the following scenes are still missing and I suspect they are still missing because Universal Studios disposed of these scenes decades ago in the incinerator....
1. Starbuck storming the bridge and demanding to know why (from Colonel Tigh) Commander Adama pulled the Galactica out of battle. This scene occurs immediately after Starbuck crash lands.
2. Jim Peck as a news commentator on Caprica.
3. Scenes on Carillon involving the "Ovion Queen", her minions, the Cylons reporting to the "Ovion Queen", more clarification of guests disappearing.
4. Uncut scenes of Adama discussing his resignation with the council while Apollo, Starbuck, and Boomer eavesdrop...which leads in to Apollo interrupting the meeting and outlining a route to Carillon.
When Universal Studios can't even properly preserve the history of the potential "1978 Battlestar Galactica Series" franchise, Universal of course wouldn't be able to move forward properly with a new series of productions in order to build on the history of this potential franchise they have allowed to vanish via their patented bad management over the past decades.
Going under the ludicrous assumptions that Universal Studios would ever care about this potential "Battlestar" franchise and fully embrace the origins of this potential franchise---"The 1978 Battlestar Galactica Series"----Universal could start from "Point A" and repair, rebuild, and re-edit the pilot episode of "The 1978 Battlestar Galactica Series."
Yes, "Saga of a Star World" can still be repaired in the editing room, with re-shoots and re-edits 36 years later....restoring it to the original shooting script....
1. Without even needing the original actors in some instances, the original footage of "Saga" solely involving the "Cylons" and "Ovions" cut by ABC-TV and never saved by Universal Studios could be re-filmed with nameless actors in Centurion costumes and "Ovion" costumes....following the original shooting script, re-film all of these scenes and well as re-film the "Imperious Leader" so that his face IS SHOWN all of the time. Re-film the "Carillon Casino" sequence with extended "alien" sequences that were originally cut by ABC-TV due to legal conflicts with the "Star Wars Cantina" sequence.
2. Scenes with the original actors that were filmed, cut, and are still missing from "Saga of a Star World" could be re-filmed (following the original shooting script) with aerial shots of stand-in actors while the original actors could perform voice overs in post-production. Yes...Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Herb Jefferson Jr., Anne Lockhart, Terry Carter, Laurette Spang are all still with us. As for the late, great Lorne Greene and John Colicos...something electronic could be done for their voice overs.
3. Am I talking about a "Director's Cut" here of "Saga of a Star World?" Always something dirty to say as far as Universal Studios is concerned, isn't it? Sacrilege!!
4. "Lost Planet of The Gods" is another editing mess...combining as much as three plots in to one episode. This episode could also be repaired in the editing room with stand-in actors, voice overs, and new footage shot with nameless actors.
5. Toss all of Ronald D. Moore's "GINO" - (Galactica in Name Only) footage in to the incinerator.
But if any potential and fully capable "Battlestar Galactica" franchise were to move forward (using the 1978 series as the only appropriate blueprint)..... all of this stuff would have to be the first step(s).
Read the books Universal Studios has tried and failed to censor on Amazon.com...
And read these books at another location where Universal Studios executives and its stealth marketers won't be able to post negative, misleading (stealth marketed) reviews of the books via them purchasing candy and Rogaine Foam on Amazon.com (allowing them access to the Amazon book review section) and not actually buying and reading the books. I'll leave the other 150 global locations under wraps for now.
Posted by Languatron at 1:41 PM